Fifteen members of the combined New Jersey congressional delegation, State Senate, and State Assembly have served in the military, which spans from the Vietnam War, to the Iraq War. Members have served in the Navy, Army, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard.
Only two Members of Congress from New Jersey are veterans: Reps. Mikie Sherrill (D-Montclair) and Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-Paterson). Sherrill served in the United States Navy from 1994 until 2003, leaving at the rank of Lieutenant Commander. She is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. Pascrell served in the U.S. Army and the Army Reserve.
Eight members of the New Jersey State Senate have served in the military:
* Bob Andrzejczak (D-Middle) was a U.S. Army sergeant who was awarded the Purple Heart after losing his left leg in a grenade attack in Iraq. He served in the Army from 2005 until 2010 and left at the rank of Sergeant.
* Chris Brown (R-Ventnor) served in Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. His military career spanned two decades and he retired at the rank of Major.
* Nilsa Cruz-Perez (D-Barrington) served in the U.S. Army from 1981 to 1987, leaving at the rank of Sergeant.
* Michael Doherty (R-Oxford) is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and served in the U.S. Army from 1985 to 1989 and in the reserves until 1993. He left at the rank of Captain.
* Ronald Rice (D-Newark) served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War, from 1966 to 1970, leaving at the rank of Sergeant.
* Samuel Thompson (R-Old Bridge) served in the U.S. Army from 1955 to 1957, leaving at the rank of Specialist Third Class.
* Anthony Bucco (R-Boonton) served in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1957 to 1965.
* Senator Robert Singer (R-Lakewood) served in the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve from 1966 to 1972.
Five members of the New Jersey General Assembly have served in the military:
* John Armato (D-Buena Vista) served in the U.S. Air Force from 1967 to 1971, leaving at the rank of Sergeant.
* Gordon Johnson (D-Englewood) served in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1990 to 2000 during the Gulf War. He was part of Operation Desert Storm and Operation Joint Endeavor and left at the rank of Major
* Bruce Land (D-Vineland) served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War from 1969 to 1971, leaving at the rank of Sergeant.
* Raj Mukherji (D-Jersey City) joined the U.S. Marines at age seventeen, two weeks after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. He served in the Marine Reserve and left at the rank of Sergeant.
* Ryan Peters (R-Hainesport) joined the U.S. Navy in 2004 and continues to serve as a reservist. He is a Navy SEAL and currently holds the rank of Commander.
Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story omitted Rep. Pascrell’s military service.