Today is Election Day in New Jersey.
Voters in Newark, Paterson, Bayonne, Trenton, Belleville, Long Branch, Ocean City and Irvington will vote for mayor and council seats. Keansburg, Medford Lakes, Newton, Ocean City, Orange, Pine Valley, Ridgewood, Teaneck, Teterboro, Union City and Weehawken also have elections today.
* Bayonne: Mayor Jimmy Davis is seeking a second term against former Assemblyman Jason O’Donnell and Dr. Mitchell Brown.
* Belleville: Mayor Raymond Kimble is running for a fourth term against former Councilman Michael Melham and school board member Liza Lopez.
* Irvington: Mayor Tony Vauss is unopposed in his bid for re-election.
* Long Branch: Mayor Adam Schneider, in office since 1994, faces Councilman John Pallone and former school board member Avery Grant.
* Newark: First-term Mayor Ras Baraka faces Central Ward Councilwoman Gayle Cheneyfield Jenkins.
* Ocean City: Mayor Jay Gillian faces former Councilman John Flood.
* Paterson: Mayor Joey Torres resigned last year after his criminal conviction. Competing to succeed him are Councilmen Andre Sayegh, Alex Mendez, Michael Jackson and William McKoy, PBA president Alex Cruz, and former Deputy Mayor Pedro Rodriguez.
* Trenton: Mayor Eric Jackson is not seeking re-election to a second term. Running to become the new mayor are: Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, businessman Paul Perez, Deputy County Clerk Walker Worthy, City Councilmembers Alex Bethea, Duncan Harrison, and Annette Horton-Lartigue, and activist Darren Green.
Union City Mayor Brian Stack and Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner are also on the ballot. They run for city commissioner and then get formally picked as mayor in July. Neither faces opposition.
In Teaneck, three incumbents are among the seven candidates running for four council seats.