U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez decried a court decision upholding a Trump administration rule that would strip federal funding from family planning organizations like Planned Parenthood.
“I am deeply disappointed by the court’s ruling giving license to the Trump administration and congressional Republicans’ attacks on women and women’s health,” Menendez said. “This administration fails to realize the sheer importance of family planning and reproductive health services and the impact it has on women across the country.”
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the rules change Thursday.
Menendez, a senior member of the Senate Finance Committee, which sets national healthcare policy, said the rule changes for title X family planning organizations would strip the state’s providers, harming New Jersey’s most needy residents.
“In New Jersey there are 47 Title X service providers that treated nearly 110,000 individuals last year. From gynecological exams, cancer screenings, sexually transmitted infection and HIV screenings, and contraceptive services – Title X health care providers offer high quality and affordable care,” Menendez said. “This ruling is a disgrace and will disproportionally affect women of color and low-income families across the state. Republicans have turned their backs on women in our country and I hope that higher courts will correct this injustice.”