The Legislative Latino Caucus celebrated Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’s announcement saying the Census Bureau would continue its counts until Oct. 5.
“We are grateful the Secretary of Commerce made the decision to extend the Census until October 5. The Census Bureau’s efforts to achieve a complete and accurate count have been stifled by the Trump Administration at every turn and this is a welcome reprieve,” the caucus’s members said in a joint statement. “While we would have preferred the previous deadline of October 31st, this will still help in ensuring that as many people as possible are counted in our state and around the country.”
Ross on Monday announced the Bureau would conclude its count on Oct. 5, nearly four weeks earlier than was expected after a federal judge reinstated the original Oct. 31 end date.
California District Court Judge Lucy Koh last week issued a preliminary injunction blocking the Trump administration from halting the census at the end of September. She warned that the end date Ross announced earlier this week ran afoul of her order.
“The Oct. 5 date is doing exactly what I enjoined the defendants from doing,” she said.
The caucus’s members — State Sen. and chairwoman Nellie Pou (D-Paterson), Sens. Teresa Ruiz (D-Newark) and Nilsa Cruz-Perez (D-Barrington) and Assembly members Gabriela Mosquera (D-Blackwood), Yvonne Lopez (D-Perth Amboy), Annette Quijano (D-Elizabeth), Eliana Pintor-Marin (D-Newark), Angelica Jimenez (D-West New York), Pedro Mejia (D-Secaucus) and Annette Chaparro (D-Hoboken) — still warned against cutting the census short.
“The Census provides crucial data, used to determine federal funding and congressional representation, and it is not something that should ever be cut short or manipulated,” they said.