Home>Congress>Richter’s fundraising paused amid COVID-19 crisis

Congressional candidate David Richter. (Photo: Kevin Sanders for New Jersey Globe)

Richter’s fundraising paused amid COVID-19 crisis

House candidate says he expects to start soliciting donations sometime in Q2

By Nikita Biryukov, April 06 2020 11:41 am

House candidate David Richter scrapped a fundraising video, instead choosing to push a video asking residents with means to donate to charity just days after his campaign sent out a letter asking supporters to contribute.

“The letter had been in the works for quite a while. We do those things in advance and they get scheduled,” Richter said. “Then I was asked by the campaign to put together a video at the same time to solicit money, and as I’m working on the script for the video, I just realize I can’t go out to the world and ask them to contribute to my campaign right now.”

On March 23, Richter’s campaign touting Richter’s speech at a rally President Donald Trump held in Wildwood on Jan. 28 and the organizational support the candidate won in Ocean County.

Two days later, Richter posted a video filmed outside his Princeton home, where the candidate is sheltering, on Facebook asking supporters to hold on to their money or give elsewhere.

“These are unusual times, so let me make an unusual request: Please do not donate to our campaign right now,” he said in the video. “There are families all across New Jersey struggling through this crisis, but if you’re one of the fortunate ones, please help others in need.”

The campaign’s intent, Richter said, was to follow the letter with a fundraising video.

“As I’m working on the script for the video, I just realize I can’t go out to the world and ask them to contribute to my campaign right now,” the candidate said. “Given everything that’s going on, given other priorities, given the stock market collapse, I just didn’t feel comfortable getting on video and saying that.”

Richter is seeking the Republican nod to run against Rep. Andy Kim (D-Marlton).

The former Hill International CEO faces former Burlington County Freeholder Director Kate Gibbs, Barnegat Mayor John Novak and David Schmidt in the primary.

Gibbs has the organizational line in her home county, while Richter has the line in Ocean.

Though he has put the brakes on his fundraising, Richter said he’ll likely start seeking contributions again at some point in the second quarter.

“I figured that during the second quarter, once we’re through this crisis — or coming out of it — that we will start to fundraise again,” he said. “We’re going to have to.”

Spread the news:
RELATED ARTICLES
Filter by
Post Page
Articles Congress Highlight Legislature Campaigns
Sort by

Millionaire David Richter mulls self-funded challenge to Jeff Van Drew

Former Hill International CEO ran 8th largest construction company in U.S.
March 2, 2019 12:00 pm

24

Republican women demand Richter apologize for tweet

Richter says Gibbs deflecting
June 2, 2020 5:33 pm

18

Richter claims Gibbs is lying about his record

Ex-Hill International president says he never met Gaddafi
June 2, 2020 2:20 pm

18