Once again, a newspaper doesn’t hold itself to the same standard they hold everyone else to.
The Asbury Park Press used a photo caption laced with profanity, misogynism and a derogatory ethnic term in a story about vaccinations, where a journalist referred to “a fucking hot nurse, a total JAP.” The photo described an Orthodox Jewish woman preparing a COVID-19 vaccine in Lakewood. The Gannett-owned newspaper pulled the photo after a New Jersey Globe story, but has not offered an explanation to readers.
Just last week, The (Bergen) Record — also a Gannett chain paper — wrote a news story about a Teaneck-based Jewish newspaper that apologized for satire about shooting Palestinians.
On the New Jersey Globe Power Hour on Talk Radio 77 WABC this week, host David Wildstein talked to State Sen. Joseph Lagana (D-Paramus) about the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, the reopening of public schools, and Gov. Phil Murphy’s nomination of Rachel Wainer Apter to the New Jersey Supreme Court. Trenton Mayor Reed Gusciora talked to Wildstein about governing New Jersey’s capital city with a dysfunctional City Council.
Click the PLAY button below — or click HERE. You can also subscribe hear the show on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify
Here are five stories you need to know about if you unplugged for the weekend:
* The New Jersey Attorney General’s office subpoenaed Edison Township on Friday for documents related to an anonymous racist flyer in the 2017 election and empaneled a grand jury to determine if anyone will be charged.
* Five Hoboken city council members and the mayor called on Attorney General Gurbir Grewal to include a racist flyer from the 2017 mayoral campaign in the Edison grand jury probe.
* Former Atlantic City Mayor Don Guardian and former Deputy Attorney General Claire Swift won the organization line in Atlantic County in the 2nd district.
* Former Atlantic City Mayor Don Guardian and former Deputy Attorney General Claire Swift won the Republican organization line for State Assembly in the 2nd district.
* Atlantic County Democrats picked Egg Harbor City Mayor (and 13-year WaWa employee) Lisa Jiampetti to run for County Clerk, but she’ll face a primary from Mico Lucide.
* Two incumbent Democratic State Committee members from Monmouth County lost their bids for re-election at the county Democratic convention on Saturday.