Home>Campaigns>Facing court hearing, Democratic Assembly challenger in 3rd district drops out

Assemblyman John Burzichelli (D-Paulsboro)

Facing court hearing, Democratic Assembly challenger in 3rd district drops out

By David Wildstein, April 09 2021 4:16 pm

Arman Michael Nori is ending his State Assembly bid in the 3rd district, leaving incumbents John Burzichelli (D-Paulsboro) and Adam Taliaferro (D-Woolwich) unopposed in the Demcoratic primary.

Nori, a 22-year-old Bridgeton resident, had been facing a challenge to nominating petitions he filed on Monday.  He was scheduled to appear before Administrative Law Judge Dorothy Garrabrant next week.

A spokesperson for the Office of Administrative Law said that Nori advised them of his intent to withdraw.

Mario DeSantis, who was planning to mount a Democratic primary challenge to Senate President Steve Sweeney, saw his candidacy fizzle when he couldn’t get the 100 signatures he needed to get on the ballot.  Sweeney also represents the 3rd district.

“Please disregard those submissions. They were incomplete. I understand the deadline has passed,” DeSantis told the state Division of Elections.

Democrats are considering a challenge to former Woodlynne Councilman Clyde Cook, who is running as a Republican against State Sen. Nilsa Cruz-Perez (D-Barrington) in the 5th district.

Cook filed 105 signatures just five more than he needs.

Earlier this week, the Division of Elections reported that they had received petitions for another Senate candidate, Keith Walker.

According to the Division of Elections, they reached out to Roxanne Coburger of the Republican State Committee, who told them that Walker was never supposed to be a candidate and that she didn’t know how his name wound up on the petitions.  The address on Walker’s petitions is that of Cook.

Nominating petitions for Republicans Alfonso Mastrofilipo and Jerry Taylor for State Assembly in the 38th district were rejected after the candidates filed just 38 signatures.

Spread the news:

 RELATED ARTICLES